Sunday, April 3, 2011

It has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them.

“To me, photography is an art of observation. It’s about finding something interesting in an ordinary place…I’ve found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them.” – Elliott Erwitt

If I were to pick a quote that summed up what kind of creative person I am, I would have to simply restate what my good friend Elliott Erwitt said. To those who may not already know, I am not a Video Production major, rather a Journalism major who is transferring into Video Production. But why you may ask, I mean, I am only a part of the top school for my field of interest, or so I thought. You see, the more I got involved with AVW and the Multimedia Club, I really found my niche with seeing something through the lens, that maybe some wouldn’t, and turn it into a piece of art. Although photography isn’t quite exactly like Video Production, we still are able to see the same things through the lens and interpret it in our own way. I’ve found through the past two quarters of my freshman year, that my once aspiration of taking my creativity to the Washington Post and becoming a columnist have now turned into wanting to take this creativity to a theatre near you. But obviously, this can’t be the only thing that has swayed my change of major. If that were it, calling me crazy would be more than just an understatement. My biggest inspiration would be my sister, the infamous Jessica Kardos. My sister is a recent graduate from the Media Arts School as a Video Production major. It wasn’t the constant nagging of her trying to convince me to switch majors, rather seeing her drive and determination to overcome the female stereotype in the film industry and suddenly my mind was set. I never felt that kind of determination with journalism, I always loved writing, but not like how my sister loved video production.  
            About a year ago my sister directed a 419 film called the Schartz-Metterklume Method and can be related to a dark version of Mary Poppins. Conveniently enough, during my spring break I had the pleasure of coming to Athens to be a PA on the film. Although my sister acted more like my boss in terms of being stern and straightforward when I wasn’t doing something correctly, it made realize how seriously she took this and her passion for it.
            After reviewing the terminology that we learned in class, I reread my copy of the Shartz script to figure out what concepts could relate to it. First I noticed how they used DIDACTIC, which as we learned is when you tell the audience what to think. This is demonstrated in the first few opening scenes when we meet Claretta, a mysterious woman, who is mistaken by a wealthy family for their newly hired nanny. The audience is aware that Claretta is not who this family thinks it is, but are forced to continue watch this scenario unfold. Next, I noticed how Shartz used CONTRAST, explaining the difference between “things”. Shartz demonstrated this by showing the difference in values between the Atwater family and Claretta. Claretta believed that the only way the children can learn history is by acting it out so they can, as she would say, “truly experience it.” However, Mrs. Atwater believes that the children should learn the old fashion way, by text book. Finally, Shartz demonstrated CONCIOUSNESS, which is being aware of choices reflecting on past events. Throughout the duration of a dinner scene as Claretta continues to converse with Mr. and Mrs. Atwater she learns more about them and their values and then proceeds to use the values in which Mrs. Atwater does not approve of and those that Mr. Atwater does approve of, such as writing and using their imaginations, to make the children more interested in learning.
            

Below are links that show examples of work done by my sister:

1.     SCHARTZ-Director
http://www.schartzmetterklume.com/watch.html
2.      WEATHER OR NOT-Director (2010 48-Hour Shoot Out)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugMpHxn0j2g
3.     STYLIST SOLUTION-Producer (2009 48-Hour Shoot Out)
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N95G98pEyRc

1 comment: