Sunday, April 3, 2011

14 Ways to Make it Big


Copy and Paste to have access to Mitch Ditkoff’s “14 Ways to get Breakthrough Ideas”: http://changethis.com/

According to our friend Mitch, “there’s a lot of talk these days about innovation,” and quite frankly I couldn’t agree more with him. In Mitch Ditkoff’s article “14 Ways to get Breakthrough Ideas,” he narrows it down to the simples and most basic ways for almost anyone to find that inner breakthrough idea within us. “What sparks innovation?” he says, “People. What sparks people? Inspired ideas that meets a need.” Everyone craves that genius idea that will either make or break their career, but as Ditkoff states, we need to stop having the mindset that these ideas don’t exist, because ultimately they already do. We need stop searching for them and rather allow them to come to us.  From this we learn the two basic approaches, Western and Eastern. Western is best summarized as “I think therefore I am”, where as Eastern is best summarized as “I am, therefore I think.” More thank likely, most find they relating towards the Eastern approach because it focuses on, “intuitive knowing,” as Mitch would say. But as the saying goes “to each their own,” meaning everyone has their own opinion and personal taste, just as this could relate to specific styles of approaching ideas. It is from here that Ditkoff goes into explaining his 14 ways of constructing those breakthrough ideas.
1.     Follow your Fascination: if you find fascinated with something, there are chances that this could be a breakthrough for you because fascination is an indication that we are “being called.”
2.     Immerse: if you what a better chance at creating this breakthrough idea we have to be immersed: becoming completely involved in something.
3.     Tolerate Ambiguity: don’t be afraid to fail because chances are you are going to have plenty of ideas that will fall through.
4.     Make New Connections: Find connections between common things.
5.     Fantasize: this is the time to bring out your inner dreamer. Although we are often told not to fantasize because it is a childish trait, this is often when we find our greatest ideas.
6.     Define the Right Challenge: before coming up with your breakthrough idea, you have to find the “breakthrough problem.” This will help you figure out what you are trying to exactly create.
7.     Listen to Your Subconscious: when trying to figure something out or achieve something over a period of time, we tend to put these thoughts to our “subconscious mind” which then figures it out on its own.
8.     Take a Break: do not insist on forcing yourself to figure something out if you have been “stumped” for a significant amount of time. Walk away and come right back after you take a break.
9.     Notice/ Challenge Existing Patterns and Trends: don’t be afraid to challenge old patterns and find the solution to them in a new way.
10.  Hang Out with Diverse Groups of People: sometimes just by changing the atmosphere of people you surround yourself with will give you a more well rounded perspective and can give your great ideas.
11.  Brainstorm: don’t jump into this process alone. Find that meaningful question and have people help you find the solution to it.
12.  Look for Happy Accidents: Always keep an eye out for the unexpected. Look for those moments that seem like hell at the moment, but ultimately have a happy ending.
13.  Use Creative Thinking Techniques: Everyone needs that spark to light the fire within them to start thinking about what their idea should be. Don’t be afraid to go through some of your favorite music, books, or a quote to help you.
14.  Suspend Logic: “Suspend judgement. Suspend evaluation. Suspend your addiction to the practical.” It’s that simple.

Use Creative Thinking Techniques: Personally I have found that this technique is very useful. Ever since I participated in script writing on Fridays Live, I have been dying to write something, but haven’t had the slightest idea on what to write on. My life surely wasn’t anything interesting to write about, so what to do? I turned to my favorite book, Thirteen Reasons Why, by Jay Asher. I plan on rereading this in the nest couple of weeks and try to construct something from this.
Hang Out With a Diverse Set of People: I also find that this technique is very useful. I knew that coming to college and being a part of a major where I needed to network, that would mean interacting with people that I typically wouldn’t. From doing this, I have not only learned a lot about myself, but have certainly been able to take a step back and find the meaning behind “Never Judge a Book by it’s Cover.”
Listen to Your Subconscious: This “breakthrough idea” I find doesn’t particularly work. I feel like, for myself at least, I wouldn’t really realize whether or not I have transferred that idea to my “subconscious” part of my brain, thus I don’t think I would ever recognize it.

Applying: PROMPT 12
            What “failed experiment” or unexpected outcome might be interesting for you to reconsider? Who else might you invite to participate in this effort?
à An event that I would highly consider would be when I won Homecoming Queen my senior year of high school and completely tripped in my skirt and high heels when I walked out onto the football field to get the crown.
à In this effort I would invite my mom because she was beside me when this happened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment